Thursday, November 10, 2011

New Math

From Mike Mazzeo at ESPNNewYork.com:

"The Mets already have $65 million committed to pitcher Johan Santana, third baseman David Wright and left fielder Jason Bay"

Am I missing something here? Here are the salaries of these players, respectively, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts (which, by the way, I love): 24, 15.25, 18.13 = just over 57 Million dollars. That's a lot of money, but entirely different from $65M. Why does ESPN continue to forgo fact checking? I'm not suggesting 8 Million dollars will determine if the Mets can sign Reyes to a long term, 100+ million dollar contract - but $8M is a lot of money. Enough to determine other free agent signings this off season, to be sure.

Can you imagine if CNN reported the GNP with a 12% error? Or if the New York Times reported that the annual salary of some CEO was 12% off from what it actually is? They'd have to dedicate an article to correcting their erroneous ways. I don't know why I get so annoyed when I find errors like these on ESPN. Maybe it's because I feel like I could do a better job at it. Maybe because I think it takes away from the good reporting that they do have on their site. Or maybe I'm just anal.
-Natron

Addendum:
Case in point
Rod Barajas did NOT hit 50 homers over the last two years. He's hit 33. Going back to the last 3 years, he has hit 52 home runs. ESPN is turning me into a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon, I say!

Update to Addendum:
Seems someone up there (in Bristol, that is) likes me; they have changed "50" to "33" (as of 8:46 pm tonight).

No comments:

Post a Comment