Thursday, November 10, 2011

Are Jew Serious

Okay, I have more important things to do than sound off on former major league players who happen to be of Jewish descent gearing up for Israel's entrance to the WBC. Now, if A-Rod is eligible for the Dominican Republic and Piazza can help out Team Italy, I see no issue with these players helping out Team Israel. But, I do think it would be somewhat odd if the players mentioned all suited up for a country they probably have no intimate connection to. Now, on the other hand, if these players had a pre-existing connection to Israel - friends, family, or just personal interest - then that would be another story. But I've never heard of Ian Kinsler or Danny Valncia discuss how best to prepare matzoh balls.

Having said all that, it would be interesting to see this "dream team" of Jewish baseball players. Here's my starting lineup (assuming these players actually identify themselves as Jewish). The retired players I name here were those specifically named in the article:
C Brad Ausmus
1B Ike Davis
2B Ian Kinsler
3B Kevin Youkilis
SS Danny Valencia
LF Ryan Braun
CF Sam Fuld
RF Shawn Green
DH: Gabe Kapler (I think the WBC uses the DH throughout)
SP: Jason Marquis
RP: Scott Feldman, Craig Breslow, John Grabow, Scott Schoenweis (no telling how many you'll need to follow Marquis)

This list owes a tip of my hat to bleacherrport.com and a playful wag of my finger to dandykoufax.com. The idea of tip my of my hat/wag of my finger, of course, pays homage to Stephen "I'm not Jewish but that Stuart guy is" Colbert.

NB: It's true, it's true, I am a J-E-W.

-Natron

No comments:

Post a Comment