Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reyes vs. Crawford

OK, I'm looking at Crawford's career stats minus last year because Reyes and he both started at 20 and Reyes is a year younger than Crawford. So essentially I'm comparing their careers through each one's age 27 season.

Reyes' OPS is only 3 points lower than Crawford's through his age 27 season (even including last year, Crawford's only beating him by 12 OPS points). Crawford had 30 more stolen bases, but he also had way more k's and fewer walks. Their OPS+ at equivalent ages were 101 and 103, Jose and Carl ,respectively.

If you can't tell, what I'm aiming at is that Crawford and Reyes are very similar offensively, while Reyes plays SS and Carl is out in left. Thus, I would say they're pretty damn even Steven - notwithstanding "intangibles" and, possibly, health issues. But especially if Reyes maintains his health, which I do believe he will as an overall rule, he could very reasonably demand a contract approaching the 7 years for 20 per season Crawford got. Which scares me. Especially considering the Yankees might be in need of a new SS soon.

We need to sign Reyes and Wright to long-term deals prontissimo, especially since each one has had relative lulls the past season or two. Discount much? I know we signed him for this year at 11, I say we give him like 5 years or even 6 starting at 12M and going up 1M per year, so like 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, maybe up to 17 which comes out to 70 mill over 5 years OR 87 over 6. I would do that, honestly, right now. but then again I'm not the guy in charge.
-Natron (12/9/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment